BDSM is an entire culture. Practices involving a dominant and a submissive continue to pique the interest of many people, and the appeal of these practices can be explained in several ways.
Movies like "Fifty Shades of Grey" opened the door even further to such practices, and they began to be perceived as an extreme form of sensuality.
People's fascination around them can be seen in the abundance of materials available, both online and offline, in the form of books, forums, and communities. But what is the psychology behind such behaviors? And, more specifically, why is clit punishing a type of intense pleasure?
The Psychology Behind BDSM
BDSM embodies a number of practices, the essence of which can be deduced from the abbreviations used to refer to this culture. Bondage and discipline, dominance and submission, sadism and masochism are all central to BDSM. In other words, we can say that BDSM is about roleplaying, but the rule is simple: someone is in charge, while someone else is dominated.
There is a common misconception that BDSM is all about pain. In reality, BDSM is about partner trust, communication, and safety. It is impossible to enjoy such practices, which involve extreme situations, without these essential elements.
Because there has always been a stigma associated with people who engage in BDSM, a study was conducted in 2008 that focused on the psychosocial characteristics of BDSM participants.
According to the study, individuals who are interested in BDSM are not more anxious or depressed compared to those who are not drawn to this type of sexual activity. In fact, the study found that men who engage in BDSM scored significantly lower on a scale of psychological distress compared to men who do not participate in BDSM.
Sadism and masochism are classified as mental disorders by the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) only if they cause significant stress or if the other party does not consent. As a result, we can conclude that BDSM is a perfectly normal practice based on curiosity and security, as long as communication between partners is clear and everything is consensual.
What Is Clit Punishment?
Clit punishment is a BDSM practice in which the clitoris is subjected to pressure or pain. As previously stated, this practice, like all others involving sexual activities, including BDSM practices, must be consensual. The goal of this practice is to experience sadomasochistic pleasure - and this is the case for both the dominant and the submissive.
Sexual arousal is produced by genital stimulation, even if the stimulation is painful. Individuals' ability to tolerate and enjoy such pain varies greatly.
Physiologically, the practice increases blood flow to the genitals while also releasing endorphins and hormones. Still, some techniques are extremely dangerous and unsafe, and many pose significant health risks; therefore, adequate precautions must be taken. In this context, there are even BDSM workshops that discuss such practices in order to reduce any potential discomfort.
Techniques Used in Clit Punishment
Given that clit punishment is a fairly common practice among the BDSM community, there are a variety of ways to go about it.
- Clit Piercing: The use of a piercing hooked up to the clitoris is one of the most common practices. Of course, the piercing must be done by a professional in a safe environment, but once the area heals, there are various techniques that involve applying pressure and pain to the clitoris through the piercing to achieve sexual pleasure.
- Impact Play: Things are even simpler when it comes to impact play. This method involves striking the clitoris with the hand or with a spanking paddle.
- Clamping: Normally, for this method people use genital clamps, either specifically designed for this purpose or repurposed nipple clamps, forceps, or household clothespins. The clamps must be attached to the clitoral hood to restrict blood flow. Using weighted clamps or weights attached to standard clamps can enhance the effect of clamps.
- Wax: This method involves applying hot wax to the clitoral hood. Pegs or clamps are sometimes used to hold the labia open to make the process easier, but no wax should be dripped into the vagina. Wax specifically designed for BDSM is commercially available and safer than other types of wax.
- Suction: Suction is another method used for clit punishment. This requires a clit pump or even a clit sucking vibrator with suction modes, such as P. Cat. These toys increase blood flow to the involved areas. The experience can be arousing, and the drawing of blood to the genitals can make the area more sensitive once the device is removed.
- Forced Orgasm: Forced orgasms can be induced by using a sex toy with intense vibrations, like a wand vibrator or any other sex toy for clit sucking, that is tied in place and stimulates the clitoris constantly and consistently.
Tips & Tricks for Beginners
There are certain tips to bear in mind if you're interested in experimenting with this area of BDSM culture to make sure that, despite the pressure and pain applied to the clitoris, the experience will still be one that produces intense pleasure for both partners.
Communicate With Your Partner
Communication is crucial to any BDSM practice, as mentioned at the beginning of the article. First, discuss this fantasy with your spouse. Talk about your worries as well as the factors that led to this fantasy. You must be honest with each other in order to create certain boundaries right away.
Decide on a Safe Word
Establishing a safe word or gesture that the partner in the dominating position can read instantly and stop is another aspect that you must take into account. When it comes to such practices, things may get fairly intense, therefore it's crucial to have a button that you know you can hit if you want the experience to take a break or end.
The beginning can be challenging and confusing, just like anything new. As a result, it is recommended to start small. Choose a single approach that you are both willing to explore, and then go cautiously and carefully with each new step. You can step up the intensity of the techniques used as you learn more about this practice and accumulate some expertise.
Despite various perceptions, BDSM is very natural and, in reality, is all about pleasure, the connection between partners, and full trust.
Yet, because it is a technique that involves pain and pressure, it is important to start out slowly, with low intensity. You will enjoy every step of this journey to mastering BDSM techniques, or more specifically, clit punishment, as you learn gradually.